IS claims responsibility for Herat mosque attack

Lester Mason
August 5, 2017

Terrorists mounted two deadly attacks in Afghanistan, killing scores of people as the war-torn country sees a jump in the suicide attacks.

Officials on Tuesday said the attack had killed more than 29 people and wounded at least 64.

The terror group issued a statement late on Wednesday claiming that the attack on Jawadia mosque was carried out by two of their suicide bombers identified as Umair Asim and Tayyeb Al-Khurasani. "They are both dead", he added.

The attack comes as the Trump administration is deciding whether to send 4,000 more U.S. soldiers to Afghanistan in order to control Taliban gains.


As many as 70 more worshipers were wounded in the attack.

Eyewitness Ghulam Ali, who runs a mechanics shop near the attack site on the outskirts of the city of Kandahar, says he saw a military vehicle on fire on the road.

Elsewhere, a suicide bomber attacked a convoy of worldwide troops near the airport in the southern Afghan city of Kandahar on Wednesday, a security official said, and the NATO-led military coalition confirmed there were casualties. "US Forces Afghanistan will provide additional information as it becomes available", he added.

Qari Yosuf Ahmadi, spokesman for the group in southern Afghanistan, said a convoy near a base of the Afghan spy agency National Directorate of Security had been attacked.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER