Shivering child found clinging to drowned mother in Texas floodwaters

Lester Mason
September 1, 2017

The mother did the best she could to keep her child up over the water. Squalls from Harvey were pounding Beaumont with up to 2 inches (5 centimeters) of rain an hour at the time with 38 mph gusts, according to the National Weather Service.

But this one ended tragically.

Tens of thousands of dollars have been raised to support a three-year-old girl who survived the Texas floods by clinging to her drowned mother.

A relative told the New York Times: "Jordyn told me they were in the yucky water for quite a while". "When the baby was found, the baby was clinging to her". The child lived, but Sulcer died, police said.

The child was holding onto Sulcer when a police and fire rescue team in a boat caught up to them a half-mile downstream, he said.

They tried to revive Sulcer but she never regained consciousness.

On Tuesday, a 64-year-old man was found dead under the debris of a clock fix shop in Houston.

Beaumont and Port Arthur were hit hard by Harvey, which dumped more than 50 inches of rain on parts of Texas and left the city of Houston underwater.

For much of the Houston area, forecasters said the rain is pretty much over.

It's unclear why Sulcer was on the road - whether she was trying to get home, or out of town - as she and her daughter were swept up in water rushing from a drainage canal, police said.

A Texas mom died Tuesday while saving her infant daughter during Hurricane Harvey flooding in Beaumont, Texas, according to authorities.

"First responders took turn performing CPR until they could get her to an ambulance", police said on Facebook.

"Officers pulled the child and the mother into the boat".

"She's doing well and she's with her family", officer Haley Morrow said.

Following the death of mum Collette Sulcer, 41, a GoFundMe page to raise $100,000 for the little girl has nearly reached its target in less than 12 hours.

On it, he wrote: "I don't know this young girl or her family, but I feel the necessity to help them out during these very hard times".

Penisson said the child was in stable condition at Christus St. Elizabeth Hospital.

"The first responders got to the mother and child just before they went under a trestle", police officials said in the department's news release.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article