Tillerson says United States thinking about closing embassy in Cuba

Lester Mason
September 17, 2017

Sec. of State Rex Tillerson on Sunday said that he is considering shutting down the USA embassy in Havana, Cuba over a spate of mysterious sonic attacks aimed at American diplomats stationed there.

"We have it under evaluation", Tillerson told CBS News' "Face The Nation". He says the issue is "very serious" regarding the harm some individuals have suffered.

Between autumn 2016 and April, at least 21 embassy employees were treated for nausea, concussions and hearing loss, the U.S. State Department revealed last month. The incidents apparently continued into 2017. The U.S. State Department has not blamed Havana for the attacks but asked two Cuban diplomats to leave Washington in May.


The State Department said in August that Americans linked to the US embassy in Havana had experienced physical symptoms from "incidents" involving sound waves. The FBI is investigating what the union calls "sonic harassment attacks" on the diplomats. Five Canadians were also affected. Cuba has denied any responsibility for the ailments and has said it will work with the U.S.to find answers.

Cuban President Raúl Castro called in the then-head of the US mission, Jeffrey DeLaurentis, to express concern.

A handful of GOP senators have called on Tillerson to take stronger action to protect U.S. diplomats from acoustic attacks in Cuba.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER