European Union summit building evacuated

Lester Mason
October 13, 2017

Several people were taken to hospital after breathing in the toxic gasses and some staff working in the building were evacuated.

The fumes were released in the EU's new Europa building, which opened after several delays in January and is home to the European Council.

Substances used in the building's canteen, and which were not immediately identified, caused the poisonings, whose symptoms are vomiting and tingling in the eyes, said Pierre Meys, spokesman of the Brussels Fire Service. The fumes spread due to "a technical issue affecting the ventilation", the statement said.


The European Council building that will host EU leaders for a summit next week was evacuated after noxious fumes from the building's kitchen led to 15 people needing treatment, including five being hospitalized. "The Belgian firemen and medical services were brought in today to investigate the situation and evacuate kitchen staff who felt ill".

Staff working in the building, nicknamed as "The Egg", were moved to a neighbouring building, the Justus Lipsius, while investigations continued, with the council applying "a principle of safety first".

The Council of the European Union said later in the day that all systems had been cleaned and a crunch summit next Thursday and Friday with British Prime Minister Theresa May would go ahead as planned.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER