Marie Conlon: Man charged with theft and fraud offences

Lester Mason
October 13, 2017

The body of 68-year-old Marie Conlon was discovered at her home in the city last Friday after authorities were alerted to concerns regarding her whereabouts.

Detectives investigating the death detained the 23-year-old man on Wednesday 11 October.

He is due to appear at Belfast Magistrates' Court next month but is no longer suspected of murder.

The Police Service of Northern Ireland (PSNI) launched an investigation, with a post-mortem examination suggesting her death was suspicious.

Alliance Justice spokesperson Trevor Lunn MLA issued an appeal for information: "This is a horrifying discovery and my sympathies are with the loved ones of Ms Conlon".

"Officers forced entry to her Larkspur Rise home and discovered her deceased in bed". He has been released unconditionally in relation to the suspicion of murder.

On Thursday, the PSNI said they believed her death occurred at around this time.


"We are shocked and heartbroken to learn about the loss of our beloved sister, Marie Conlon", it said.

"The tragic circumstances of her death make it all the more hard to comprehend and accept".

In a statement, relatives of the Belfast woman say she was "a very independent person".

Sinn Fein MLA Alex Maskey said Ms Conlon came from a close-knit family in the Ballymurphy area of west Belfast.

The family said that attempts had been made to contact Marie over the course of the two years. Not only have they lost a sister and aunt, but there may also have been a murder involved.

"Marie was a very private person and they're a private family so all this going on around them is a lot to take in".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER