State Department: 2 More Victims Of Mysterious Attacks In Cuba

Lester Mason
October 21, 2017

The United States says two more government workers are confirmed victims in the unexplained Cuba attacks. The U.S. had roughly 50 personnel posted to the Embassy in Havana until earlier this month when, in response to the attacks, the State Department pulled out roughly 60 percent of the staff. The Trump administration later said it had determined the incidents were "specific attacks" that are ongoing, but investigators have not yet identified a weapon or a culprit.

She said those who had experienced symptoms were undergoing medical care and that the department can't rule out new cases in the future.

The State Department has warned Americans not to travel to Cuba because of the alleged attacks on its personnel in Havana.

Those affected have exhibited physical symptoms including hearing loss, cognitive issues, and difficulty sleeping. In particular, the agency warned Americans of staying away from Hotel Capri and Hotel Nacional de Cuba in Havana, where some of the attacks took place. A USA official told The Associated Press previously that attack occurred August 21.


The tally has inched upward since the USA first disclosed in August that embassy workers and their families in Havana had been harmed by unexplained, mysterious incidents affecting their health.

"Until the government of Cuba can ensure the safety of our diplomats in Cuba, our embassy will be reduced to emergency personnel in order to minimize the number of diplomats at risk of exposure to harm", the State Department said at the time.

"But to anyone who knows anything about the Cuban government and the past of the Cuban government, it's hard to imagine that certain things would not be known that they were taking place on that island right there", Nauert said in a press briefing on Tuesday.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER