Simon Zebo is "disappointed" to be out of Ireland squad

Doris Richards
October 28, 2017

SIMON Zebo was yesterday left out of Joe Schmidt's 38-man squad, for the upcoming Autumn Series as the coach sent out a loud and clear message to the full-back and any other Irish player thinking about a move overseas.

Zebo explained that Schmidt had explained his reasons for excluding him, but admitted he was disappointed to miss out. Why would they? There was enough on their minds, Zebo contemplating the likely end of his global career, Schmidt hoping his big gamble does not come back to haunt him.

Zebo revealed earlier this month that he'll be leaving his native Munster to seek a new opportunity in France.

Zebo is named at full back as Erasmus makes made three changes made to the side that defeated Racing 92 in the Champions Cup last weekend while Sweetnam is named on the bench.

The IRFU and Schmidt have said that players are less likely to get picked for the national team if they're not playing for one of the four provinces.

"I have to look after my family's interests", Davies said at the time, words that...


Munster's Andrew Conway, centre, receives a red card from referee Nigel Owens during their defeat to Connacht at the Sportsground in Galway last night.

"I wouldn't say regret, because I made a decision to be in that position".

"I'm the one who made a decision to be in that position and it's just like anything - playing for Munster was a dream of mine since I was a child, playing for Ireland was a dream, playing for the Lions and playing in France was a dream".

"I've proven I should be at it, so that's why it's disappointing, but I'll back the boys".

"I've a very short career so I wasn't going to let it go by without trying it".

"At least I've the balls to do it and I won't shirk away from a challenge".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER