Carbon Monoxide Sickens 5, Kills Elderly Man In Bernal Heights

Lester Mason
December 7, 2017

Carbon monoxide exposure has killed one person and sickened five others in a residence in Bernal Heights early this morning, according to the San Francisco Fire Department.

A San Francisco Fire spokesman said the leak was reported at 4:26 a.m.in a two-story residence in the 300 block of Moultrie St.

State law requires owners both single-family homes and apartment buildings with an attached garage or a fossil fuel source to install carbon monoxide detectors.


"The residents in the upper unit heard their Carbon dioxide detector go off", said San Francisco Fire spokesman Jonathan Baxter.

Firefighters noticed that there was a lower unit and heard the television, but got no answer when they knocked on the door. They went downstairs and found an elderly man unconscious in the back bedroom. She was in serious condition. After 45 minutes, he was pronounced dead on the scene. Firefighters say the water heater was the most likely cause. Residents of the upper unit have been able to return to their home.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER