Worboys case: Launch of taxi rapist triggers parole overview

Lester Mason
January 12, 2018

Ms Cooper warned Worboys knew where some of his victims lived.

The decision to free Worboys, nine years after he was jailed, has prompted dismay from victims, as well as questions around why not all of the 102 complainants had seen their cases brought to trial.

An MP has demanded that serial sex attacker John Worboys be banned from Greater London following his release from prison.

Nearly 100 cases against sex attacker John Worboys should be reconsidered by the Crown Prosecution Service, lawyers for his victims have said.

It added: "Our clients have a real and justified fear that he will know their home addresses".

He said all Worboys' victims, whether part of the criminal case or not, deserved to be heard.

'Considering the shambles of this sorry episode so far it is inexcusable that all victims have not been asked to make representations about his restrictions.

Their lawyer, Richard Scorer, said: "Our clients already felt betrayed by the way they have been treated by the criminal justice system; they now feel like they are being treated with the utmost contempt".

'The conditions of the licence are for the Parole Board but I think... we would expect the Parole Board to be sensitive of the concerns that victims may have as to their own safety, and indeed the trauma of finding themselves perhaps accidentally in the presence of someone who has committed such awful crimes'. She said she would "feed that in".


The Ministry of Justice has said the rapist's victims will have their say, but one victim told Sky News she was still waiting to be told what those restrictions were and whether she could influence them.

Current guidance stipulates that only victims whose attacks were prosecuted must be informed of the process, excluding dozens of others who made other complaints to the police.

The cab driver, who is also a former stripper, would offer them champagne spiked with powerful sedatives to celebrate a made-up lottery win, which he would attempt to prove by showing his victims a carrier bag stuffed with cash.

"We want to ensure that victims feel confident enough to come forward, so that they feel confident that the police will take action, and confident that they will get justice".

In a letter to the Crown Prosecution Service, they call for a re-assessment of evidence from 93 alleged victims whose cases were never prosecuted.

Lawyers from Slater and Gordon and Birnberg Peirce have written to the Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) asking for cases that Worboys was not prosecuted for to be re-assessed.

Speaking in the Commons following a statement on Parole Board transparency by Justice Secretary David Gauke, she said: 'Some of the victims still have heard nothing from victim liaison officers, still don't know what the Parole Board terms are, and whether this man may end up living near them'.

The watchdog said the London NPS had been failing to inform courts about the potential risks posed by offenders to children and partners while rushing to compile evidence for sentencing hearings.

Dame Glenys Stacey, HM Chief Inspector of Probation, said: "There were encouraging signs of improvement, but more still to be done".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER