JAMB Announces New Date For 2018 UTME

Lester Mason
January 13, 2018

The Joint Admissions and Matriculation Board (JAMB) has justified its decision to introduce new measures to strengthen its systems ahead of the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation Examination (UTME).

He spoke during a meeting with stakeholders theme: "Strategic planning on the conduct of the 2018 Unified Tertiary Matriculation", on Tuesday.

JAMB boss said it had been envisaged that a heavy concentration in the purchase of the registration form would be in the last one week to closing date, stressing that in view of that, the mock examination would be held in the first week of February across the country.

"We are unable to access our CBT centres because majority are in the universities and non teaching staff are on strike", he said.

He said February 6 had been fixed as the closing date for sale of registration form, lamenting that at the time of this report yesterday, only 283, 319 registrations had been made across the country.

The registrar said the prohibition of materials is applicable to candidates, supervisors and examiners. Adamu also warned that universities that charged more than N2,000 for the examination would be sanctioned and made to refund the excess payment. These include wrist watches, biros, calculator, biros, pencils except the common HB pencil, and any other device that can store data, transmit or receive signal no matter the form. The reasons for this will be provided shortly.

"Furthermore, candidates' pictures will be embossed on all candidates' documents generated by JAMB henceforth", he added.


The minister had also queried the institutions involved to explain why disciplinary actions would not be taken against them for violating the government's directive which said post-UTME fee per candidate shouldn't exceed N2, 000.

"There is nothing wrong with post-UTME provided that our candidates are not extorted".

"They have started refunding the money and the candidates are reporting back to us".

The JAMB registrar said one of the vice-chancellors who could not trace the affected candidates, was instructed by the Minister of Education, Adamu Adamu, to give the excess to a non-religious orphanage as charity.

"In a particular case, a Proctor who was a lecturer in a Federal University was caught engaging in examination malpractice with candidates in the course of the examination he had been entrusted to supervise. He has put his feet down that all excess charges should be refunded", Oloyede said.

The changes, according to him, focused on areas of profile creation using candidate's unique phone number, creation of more payment platforms and outlets for easy access to candidates among several other superior reforms and innovations.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER