USA military investigating Afghanistan shooting video

Lester Mason
January 13, 2018

A USA official said the weapons and equipment in the YouTube video suggest it could involve US special operations forces and was likely taken last March.

Central Command (CENTCOM) issued a statement insisting that the video was "not authorized" and that the shooting of the civilian vehicle was not in keeping with engagement policies for ground troops there.

The original video entitled "Happy Few Ordnance Symphony" was recently uploaded on YouTube by an anonymous user and then quickly removed.

Joseph Votel, head of the US Central Command, has spoken of his anger at the footage.

The controversial part lasts just a few seconds and shows an armored military vehicle, possibly an M-ATV equipped for special operations troops, passing a slow-moving civilian vehicle known in Afghanistan as a "jingle truck". The clip, apparently recorded on a helmet camera, shows a shotgun being pointed at the truck cabin and the window on the driver's side being shattered as if it had been shot.


U.S. Central Command says the video posted on YouTube triggered serious concerns.

"We are conducting an investigation into this video, and will take appropriate actions as a result of this investigation", the Central Command told Politico, which said it could not independently confirm the authenticity of the video. It could mark yet another in a long line of instances in which USA troops have photographed or recorded video of themselves or their colleagues misbehaving in war zones, only to face criminal or administrative discipline afterward. According to Politico, the video contained footage allegedly captured by United States troops fighting Daesh's affiliate in Afghanistan.

Other clips that featured in the now-deleted montage reportedly showed troops wearing uniforms of U.S. special operations forces, including the Green Berets, SEALs, Rangers and Marine Raiders, firing various weapons and calling in air or artillery strikes.

In a statement provided to Fox News, the head of USA forces in the Middle East and Afghanistan condemned the video, saying it sends a "callous message" to the world.

The footage, believed to have been filmed in 2017, has not been verified.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER