'No Hope' Of Finding Survivors From Burning Iranian Oil Tanker

Lester Mason
January 14, 2018

A Chinese salvage team has recovered two bodies from a stricken Iranian oil tanker, that was still blazing a week after it caught fire and was left adrift following a collision in the East China Sea, state news agency Xinhua reports.

China's transport ministry said the tanker "suddenly exploded" around noon on Sunday and was quickly engulfed in fire, with the smoke and flames rising as high 1km (3,300 feet).

A spokesman for the Iranian rescue team dispatched to Shanghai, told Iran's state broadcaster that information from members of the Crystal crew suggested all the personnel on the Sanchi were killed in the first hour of the accident "due to the explosion and the release of gas".


All 32 crew members on board an Iranian oil tanker that's been burning for a week near China's eastern coast are presumed dead, an Iranian official said. Rescuers managed to recover two bodies from the ship, which drifted into Japan's exclusive economic zone earlier this week.

The tanker Sanchi, owned by Iran's top oil-shipping operator, National Iranian Tanker Co, was carrying nearly 1 million barrels of condensate, an ultralight, highly flammable and explosive fuel, to South Korea.

It is reported that 13 vessels, including three Coast Guard boats and other vessels were still on site to rescue missing crewmembers, control pollution, and extinguish fires.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER