Hugh Grant wins phone-hacking damages from Mirror newspapers

Angelo Anderson
February 7, 2018

Actor Hugh Grant, who has waged a long and public battle to confront intrusive and sometimes illegal tactics by the British tabloid press, won a fresh court victory (Guardian) against a second major newspaper group which he accused of "illegal activities carried out on an institutionalized basis".

Reading a statement agreed by Mr...

Speaking outside court after the hearing, Grant said: "This case was not just about what they did to my phone and those close to me".

Mr Grant said the three papers involved in his claim were under the editorship of Piers Morgan, Richard Wallace (both Daily Mirror), Tina Weaver (Sunday Mirror), Neil Wallis, Mark Thomas and James Scott (all People), at the time of the offences, which reportedly took place between 1998 and 2009.

"This newspaper group has misled the public and its shareholders for many years; and it has let down its readers and its hard-working journalists", Grant said in a statement after his lawyers announced in court that the case had been settled.

"Although Mr. Grant now has some clarity as to the extent of MGN's unlawful activities in relation to him, one of his principal reasons for pursuing this case was to uncover and establish the wider truth about MGN's investigations into and knowledge of its unlawful activities before it finally admitted these practices in September 2014".


Ms Hames' claim against News Group Newspapers, for voicemail hacking and intrusive surveillance in 2002, under Rebekah Brooks' editorship, was admitted by the company.

She also said the company "actively sought to hide its wrongdoing from its many victims of intrusion" and admitted intrusions into people's lives could have been prevented.

The phone-hacking scandal erupted in 2011 when it was revealed that the now defunct News of the World, a rival of the Sunday Mirror, had hacked the voicemails of teenage murder victim Milly Dowler.

MGN said it "deeply regretted" the acts and described them as "morally wrong".

Mirror Group Newspapers also settled lawsuits from Ralf Little and Rupert Lowe, the Guardian reported.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER