Two terror attempts foiled in France since January

Angelo Anderson
February 25, 2018

French Interior Minister Gerard Collomb on Sunday indicated that two terror attacks were averted so far in France since January, French media reported. Collomb says two terror attacks have been foiled this year.

Paris is still on its highest level of alert after a string of Islamist attacks over the last three years.

"Since January 1, we have thwarted two attacks at their planning stage", Collomb told the Europe 1 radio station, adding that one of them was aimed at army personnel. One of them was planned against a "big sports team" where "young people were targeted", and the other the armed forces.

Neither of the plots were "totally finalise (d)" when a number of suspects were arrested in the cases.

The minister did not elaborate on the places of arrests and the precise locations of the targets.


According to official figures, 20 attacks were foiled in France in 2017.

Hundreds were also wounded in the attacks, many of which were claimed by so-called Islamic State.

Military patrols were introduced nationwide following the Charlie Hebdo attacks.

For nearly two years a state of emergency imposed In France on the proposal of former President François Hollande after the November 13, 2015 terrorist attacks in Paris that killed 130 people.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER