United Airlines mistakenly flies family's Kansas-bound dog to Japan

Lloyd Doyle
March 15, 2018

A report in The Washington Post says a Kansas-bound German shepherd may have been shipped to Japan mistakenly by United Airlines.

Passenger Kara Swindle told KCTV-5 that she and her family were in the process of moving from OR, to Wichita, Kan., and had their 10-year-old dog Irgo fly cargo. But Irgo was nowhere to be seen.

Turns out, the Great Dane was actually supposed to go to Japan.

Asher said the boarding facility that held the dog overnight before the connecting flight switched the dogs and put them in different crates.

Panic quickly set in over the fate of Irgo, who the Swindles adopted when he was 4 years old.

He was checked by a veterinarian, Swindle said, and they've been sending the family photos of the dog in good spirits. "I instantly burst into tears". Fortunately, there was no indication that anything was wrong with the dog when he landed more than 6,000 miles from his new home in Wichita.

Swindle said this was the first time she'd ever brought the beloved dog on an airplane. Irgo is suffering from an ear infection and hasn't had medication in three days, she said. Unfortunately, Irgo, the German shepherd was assumed to be on the plane to Japan.

It's been a rough week for United Airlines.

The family says they plan to pursue legal action against the pet resort, and the airline. "We have notified our customers that their pets have arrived safely and will arrange to return the pets to them as soon as possible", United spokesman Jonathan Guerin said.

"What they think happened was that the pet resort at the Denver airport took the dogs out, and apparently, they had the same kind of kennel", said Swindle.

The news of Irgo's unplanned adventure comes as United accepted responsibility for a dog's in-flight death after a flight attendant ordered its owner put the pup in the overhead compartment. Inside was their 10-month-old French bulldog, Kokito.

The airline reportedly told Swindle that because Irgo was on an worldwide flight, he might have to be quarantined for up to two weeks before he can be flown back, according to KCTV.

"I'm hoping and praying that he will stay alive". "I don't want anyone to ever have to go through this again". They kind of treat them like they are luggage.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article