ECB targeting younger fans with new 100-ball competition

Annette Crawford
May 15, 2018

Graves believes that ECB's recent experimentation of new formats is due to traditional cricket not enticing younger audiences. "The younger generation, whether you like it our not, are just not attracted to cricket".

'As chairman of the European Central Bank, my job is to protect, look after English cricket, ' he said.

Graves stressed the new format was a must to ensure cricket's relevance and financial viability, to run alongside the existing Twenty20 Blast as well as 50-over and first-class domestic competitions.

"It is not attracting the audiences, if it was we would not have that issue", Graves told BBC Sport on Tuesday (May 15). They want it simpler to understand. They will only add fuel to those who believe the European Central Bank are attempting to rubbish all that's good in the current domestic structure in favour of this new competition and the increased broadcasting revenues it has resulted in.


Despite the new array of formats that the European Central Bank is testing, Graves emphasised that existing fans of traditional forms would not be taken for granted, pointing out that the governing body's investment in county and global cricket. Graves implied that that particular idea was up for discussion but said that the European Central Bank would go through with the overall concept. We will build it and we will work with the players'.

PCA Chairman Daryl Mitchell tweeted his surprise at Graves' remarks, saying: "He should probably let Tom Harrison know then".

'We've got to make sure this game is sustainable moving forward, both financially and with supporters from all generations, ' he said. That's not what he told us last week!'

Colin Graves has insisted that the England and Wales Cricket Board will go ahead with the proposed 100-ball tournament because young people "are just not attracted to cricket".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER