Twenty Beheaded Egyptian Bodies To Be Returned By Libya

Lester Mason
May 15, 2018

The remains of 20 Egyptian Coptic Christians executed by the Islamic State group in 2015 near the Libyan city of Sirte, the jihadists' former bastion in the country, arrived home on Monday, an official at Cairo airport said.

The victims had been among the many poor Egyptians who risked their lives to find work in the lawless chaos of Libya following the downfall of Muammar Gaddafi in 2011 and civil war.

The bodies were recovered in October after the area where they were buried was recaptured from the jihadist group, according to global news channel Reuters.

Mahmoud told Egypt Today that the Libyan Ministry of Interior, Public Attorney's office, and a number of security officials in Misrata will be supervising the process.


In February 2015, Egyptians were shocked by a grisly video of the beheadings.

Officials were able to identify the bodies by matching DNA which had been taken from family members of the deceased.

The body of another victim - a Ghanaian man - was not on board the plane.

The city became an IS stronghold in Libya before local forces supported by United States air strikes gained control late a year ago.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER