Germany announce 27-man squad; Gotze, Can, Mustafi dropped

Lloyd Doyle
May 16, 2018

Injured Manuel Neuer was named in Germany's extended 27-man World Cup squad on Tuesday, but there was no place for Brazil 2014 victor Mario Goetze.

The 32-year-old Neuer suffered a broken bone in his foot and only returned to training days ago but Germany coach Joachim Low chose to take four keepers to the training camp in the Italian Alps from May 23-June 5.

"Manuel is getting back into full training this week at Bayern Munich, that assures us that he can tolerate the full load in the training camp", explained Loew. "But you can not go into such a tournament without match practice".

Loew also opted to stick with the experienced Mario Gomez as his second-choice striker behind Timo Werner and picked Freiburg's Nils Petersen ahead of Sandro Wagner. He has always made a very good impression.

"Marco is a special weapon, he has special gifts", Loew said.

Leipzig's Timo Werner will be the first-choice forward in Russian Federation.


Loew had a contract until the Euro 2020 finals, but Grindel had previously stated his job is safe regardless of how Germany perform at the 2018 World Cup finals, which kick-off next month.

"It wasn't his best season. Personally, I'm very sorry for him", Loew said of Goetze.

The Premier League is also represented in the squad, with Arsenal's Mesut Ozil joined by Manchester City duo Ilkay Gundogan and Leroy Sane, along with Chelsea defender Antonio Rudiger.

Ozil and Gundogan have been criticised by the German Football Federation (DFB) for posing in photos with Turkish president Recep Tayyip Erdogan.

Germany will start their World Cup campaign on 17 June, with Mexico, Sweden and South Korea in their group F.

"I feel with him the unbroken will to remain with the national team and to keep us on top for the next few years".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER