'Historic' $500m settlement reached in Larry Nassar gymnastics sex abuse lawsuit

Annette Crawford
May 17, 2018

Attorneys representing 332 survivors of former Michigan State University doctor Larry Nassar in lawsuits against Michigan State University and attorneys for the university announced a global settlement in principle totaling $500 million dollars.

California law firm Manly, Stewart & Finaldi announced the deal struck with the university on behalf of 332 victims earlier today.

There are no confidentiality agreements or non-disclosure agreements attached to the settlement.

It does not address allegations against other groups for which Nassar worked.

Of this $500 million, $425 million will be paid to current claimants and the other $75 million will be set aside in a trust fund to protect anyone who comes forward in the future and alleges that Nassar sexually assaulted them as well. He is set to spend the rest of his life behind bars, and he is now serving the 60-year federal prison sentence that he was given this past December at United States Penitentiary, Tucson in Tucson, Arizona.

"This historic settlement came about through the bravery of more than 300 women and girls who had the courage to stand up and refuse to be silenced", lead attorney John Manly said in a statement.

He added that it is their "hope" that "the legacy of this settlement" will serve to eradicate abuse in USA sport.

The university's board of trustees said in a statement it is "truly sorry to all the survivors and their families" and said it admired their courage to speak out. "We recognize the need for change on our campus and in our community around sexual assault awareness and prevention".


Numerous young women who survived Larry Nassar's sexual abuse weren't just angry at what he had done to them, but at the institutions they felt had enabled him.

Michigan State has been accused of failing to properly investigate complaints about Nassar through the years to coaches, counselors, police and university-employed trainers, some of which allegedly dated back to the 1990s.

MI attorney general Bill Schuette has appointed an independent prosecutor to investigate who at the university knew what, when they knew it and what they did about it. But she said she still has not seen any "meaningful reform" at the university.

For so numerous women I watched in court throughout the harrowing sentencing earlier this year, speaking out wasn't just about getting justice for themselves - but about changing attitudes and processes so other survivors of abuse have a voice too.

LANSING, Mich. (AP) - Michigan State University agreed to pay $500 million to settle claims from more than 300 women and girls who said they were assaulted by sports doctor Larry Nassar in the worst sex-abuse case in sports history, officials said. Outcry over the case prompted the resignation of university president Lou Anna Simon and the abrupt retirement of athletic director Mark Hollis. Since that point, much more accusers have stepped ahead, which accounts for the bigger variety of individuals coated by the Michigan State settlement.

Nassar is now being held in federal jail and will likely remain there for the rest of his life.

Nassar, 54, pleaded guilty to molesting women and girls under the guise of treatment and was caught with child pornography. He was also sentenced to between 40 and 175 years in state prison in January on seven sexual assault charges and between an additional 40 and 125 years in state prison in February on three more sexual assault charges.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER