Wagner retires from global football

Annette Crawford
May 17, 2018

Bayern Munich striker Sandro Wagner has announced that he is retiring from global football after being left out of Joachim Löw's Germany squad for the upcoming FIFA World Cup in Russian Federation.

Wagner, 30, joined Bayern from Hoffenheim in January to increase his chances of playing in Russian Federation. However, in his 14 Bundesliga appearances he scored eight goals.

"I hereby resign immediately from the national team", he told Bild. "It's clear that my way of always being open, honest and direct means that I don't fit in with the coaching team". "I wish the lads all the best in Russian Federation and hope that they return as world champions".

Mario Gomez, Thomas Muller, Marco Reus, Leroy Sane, Timo Werner and the uncapped Nils Petersen were the attackers named in Low's squad.


Bayern Munich forward Sandro Wagner, who was part of Die Mannschaft's Confederations Cup-winning side last year, was left out by manager Joachim Low, who chose to go with uncapped SC Freiburg striker Nils Petersen instead of the 30-year-old.

He said: "I would be lying if I said I'm not disappointed".

The former "utility player" has filled the gap left by Philipp Lahm in Bayern easily, and coach Loew would be expecting Kimmich to do the same for his country at the upcoming World Cup.

"Of course, I can't take this seriously, but as I have often said in the past, there are more important things in life than football".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER