Minibus bomb kills six in Afghan city

Lester Mason
May 23, 2018

The following content is sourced from external partners.

Turkey condemned Tuesday's blast in Afghanistan's Kandahar city, which killed at least 16 people. He said that more than 30 others had so far been wounded, including several children, and that more casualties were arriving.

The explosives were found in a cluster of auto mechanic shops.

The NDS intelligence service said the minibus was discovered in a large open yard of mechanics workshops but blew up before it could be defused, Reuters reports.

Ahmadi said security forces also found a large container of explosives, rocket-propelled grenades, suicide vests and ammunition near the site.

No group immediately claimed responsibility.


According to the 1TF broadcaster, an attacker detonated an explosive-laden vehicle.

The blast comes as the Taliban step up their spring offensive across the war-torn country.

Kandahar province, on the border with Pakistan, is a major center of opium cultivation and a stronghold of the Taliban but the city has recently been relatively secure.

Provincial council member Hassan Reza Yusufi said that seven officers were killed in one attack in the Dih Yak district, among them the police chief of the district, Sayedullah Tofan, and a reserve police commander. Zabihullah Mujahid claimed the Jaghatu district headquarters was captured as well as police checkpoints in Dih Yak.

The Pentagon's Office of the Inspector General said there were "few signs of progress" in the fight against the Taliban.

Security officials say violence is expected to pick up as preparations continue for parliamentary elections scheduled for October.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER