Harvey Weinstein hands himself in to police in NY

Angelo Anderson
May 27, 2018

Harvey Weinstein turned himself in for arrest in NY on Friday on charges of rape, criminal sex act, sex abuse and sexual misconduct in cases involving two women.

After turning himself in to the New York Police Department, Harvey Weinstein was tried at the Manhattan Criminal Court and came out with a monitoring device. His attorney says Weinstein maintains that all sexual acts were "consensual".

"Mr Weinstein did not invent the casting couch".

Weinstein, who's also being investigated in Los Angeles and London, also waived extradition to any other state or country.

The reports gave rise to the #MeToo movement on social media.

Weinstein's rep released a statement following the publication of the New Yorker expose, denying the accusations against him.

Sources said Weinstein will be charged with first and third-degree rape related to one case and criminal sex act related to another.

Major figures in media and politics have lost their jobs or had their reputations tarnished by allegations that they subjected women to unwanted advances or outright assaults.

It's not clear whether Weinstein will face additional charges involving other women. "The NYPD thanks these courageous survivors for their courage to come forward and seek justice".

Lawyers did not identify the woman involved in the rape charge. The sex abuse charges stem from a complaint from Lucia Evans, who told The New Yorker in an interview published Thursday, "At a certain point, you have to think about the greater good of humanity, of womankind".


Accuser Asia Argento, who has claimed Weinstein forced oral sex on her in 1997, didn't mince words when she tweeted, "Today Harvey Weinstein will take his first step on his inevitable descent to hell".

She also says her "brave and lovely client has sacrificed her privacy and peace to come forward" and asks that she be left alone.

"This wasn't a smile to say, 'Be on my side, ' or 'Hey, I'm innocent.' It was freakish and suggestive that he may feel he is going to get away with this or that I've gotten away with this for this long", she explains.

"Anyone know where I can get front row seats?!" "We, the women, finally have real hope for justice". NY authorities have been investigating the disgraced producer for months, under growing pressure from Hollywood actresses to bring him to justice, and their probes are ongoing. Allegations were made that Vance had deep-sixed the prosecution because Weinstein lawyer Brafman had contributed to his campaign; that crime-fiction writer Linda Fairstein, a former prosecutor in the office, interceded on Weinstein's behalf. Both happened in NY. Models and actresses in Hollywood now say they had told their agents about Weinstein's behavior.

In January, more than 300 actresses, writers and directors launched the Time's Up project, raising $21m in just a month to fund legal assistance for people who suffer harassment, abuse or assault at work. But Weinstein is a "big guy", Evans noted. It's also possible that more charges will appear during the next hearing.

"Extra" spoke with accuser Lauren Sivan, who was one of the first women to speak out against Weinstein last year, citing an incident in a restaurant 10 years ago during which he exposed himself and pleasured himself in front of her.

"There'd be times when you'd be kicked out of the suite at the Savoy or the Peninsula Hotel in L.A., and he would entertain", he said. "Harvey Weinstein shattered the lives of an untold number of women". They agreed not to speak about the incident in exchange for a financial settlement of around $200,000 each and measures that would protect Miramax employees from harassment. "This wasn't a normal confidentiality agreement. This was a deeply, personally binding agreement".

An investigative grand jury will continue to probe other sexual assault allegations against Weinstein and any financial crimes related to him paying women to remain quiet, according to the New York Times.

Judge Kevin McGrath ordered Weinstein released on $1 million cash bail and the case was adjourned to July 30.

-Nick Verbitsky contributed reporting.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER