Mom shares warning on Facebook after tick bite hospitalizes daughter

Leslie Hanson
June 13, 2018

Jessica Griffin wrote on Facebook that doctors in MS performed a multitude of tests and a CT scan on her daughter, Kailyn, suspecting everything from a stroke to a neurological syndrome - until they found the cause of little girl's odd symptoms: A tick on the crown of her head. She has been such a champ throughout this whole ordeal!

Women and children are most at risk.

It's not clear where or how Kailyn Griffin, who is 5 years old, got a tick embedded in her scalp.

Five-year-old Kailyn Kirk, who suddenly lost the ability to walk and talk last week due to a tick bite.

The post, which received over 107,000 reactions and 414,000 shares, was followed by a photo of Kailyn walking out of the hospital with "Get Well" balloons.

Griffin said Kailyn was "perfectly fine" the night before, but things took a "scary" turn on June 6 when she woke her up for school.

A tick that may have been the cause of the paralysis was found and removed from the top of Kailyn's head.


Earlier, the expert said, what to do if the tick has already stuck to the body.

Fortunately, tick paralysis is easy to treat: simply remove the tick and the symptoms will subside with 12 to 24 hours - that is, if you remove the tick properly. "These ticks have to go undetected on a person's body, usually on the head", said Lindsay.

In Canada, tick paralysis is most commonly caused by the Rocky Mountain wood tick, with most cases in south-central B.C., he said.

Which ticks can cause paralysis? "She would try to stand and walk but would continue to fall so I thought her legs were just asleep". Wearing protective clothing treated with insect repellent, particularly Permethrin, was shown to protect against tick bites.

But human children are also susceptible due to their smaller body mass. Girls get tick paralysis more frequently because the ticks can easily hide in a mass of hair, according to the foundation. If you find an attached tick, grasp it with tweezers, as close to the skin as possible and pull it straight out.

After this incident, Jessica Griffin warned other parents about the danger and urged them to check their children for ticks.

"PLEASE for the love of god check your kids for ticks!" she posted, in part.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER