Japanese nurse may have killed 20 patients

Lester Mason
July 12, 2018

Ayumi Kuboki, 31, was arrested Saturday in connection with the death of Sozo Nishikawa, 88, who was poisoned in 2016 at the Oguchi Hospital located in Yokohama, the Japan Times reported.

In December a year ago, while the investigation into the mysterious deaths at the hospital was was ongoing, Kuboki told Japanese newspaper Asahi Shimbun, "I've worked hard to help patients die in peace, so I was shocked by the incidents".

Since her arrest, Ms Kuboki has admitted to police that she killed the two men as well as "about 20 other patients", the Asahi Shimbun newspaper reported. She also admitted poisoning 88-year-old Nobuo Yamaki, who was being treated in the same room as Nishikawa.

She'd timed it so her victims died when she wasn't at work - because she dreaded having to deal with grieving family members.

Kuboki initially denied any involvement in the deaths, telling media that she was shocked and felt sorry for the victims and their families.

A former nurse in Japan may have killed dozens of patients by poisoning their intravenous drips, police have said.

Police ruled that his death, along with Nishikawa's, were due to poisoning.

Antiseptic was then discovered in the bodies of two further patients, an 89-year-old man and a 78-year-old woman who have not been named.

In his case, Kuboki allegedly sneaked into his room between 3 p.m. and 4:55 p.m. September 18, 2016, ahead of her 5 p.m. night shift.

Staffers told Asahi Shimbun there were no red flags.

Investigators found tiny punctures in the rubber seals of the bags, indicating that the antiseptic had been injected into them. Another, who worked alongside Kuboki at a different hospital, said she was "considered competent", although she was "the kind of person who was hard to figure out".

It is believed the suspect has not worked as a nurse since the 2016 death.

Some 48 patients died at the Oguchi Hospital from "unusual circumstances" in a three-month time span in 2016.

Police questioned Kuboki in late June after she quit the hospital. The newspaper quoted Kuboki's mother, who said her daughter was scared of working in the hospital at night and wanted to leave her job.

Doctors said Nishikawa died of natural causes, but Kuboki would later admit to injecting Nishikawa's intravenous drip bag with a disinfectant, The Guardian reported.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article