New footage shows sedated football team carried from Thailand cave

Angelo Anderson
July 12, 2018

It showed divers in headlights and scuba-gear carrying out the boys on heavy-duty stretchers.

That left 20 or so divers scrambling to flee the rising waters, he said, explaining they narrowly made it out time. "This story has meant so much to me as I have followed it in Thailand this summer", he said in a video filmed at the scene of the flooded cave in the country's north.

That gutsy determination was on display Wednesday in a video taken from the hospital isolation ward.

After a 17-day struggle, an image of the Thai boys flashing victory sign, smiling and waving from their hospital beds gripped the world.

The youngest, 11, appeared asleep under a crisp white sheet.

"It might be because they were all together as a team, helping each other out", Thongchai Lertwilairattanapong, Inspector General of the Public Health Ministry told reporters, singling out their 25-year-old coach for keeping their spirits high. Two of the first group had a lung infection as well. Three boys from the last group saved have ear infections.

Another video released on Facebook by the Thai Navy SEALs, who were central to the rescue, apparently shows one of the boys being carried through part of the muddy cave on a stretcher covered by an emergency thermal blanket.

"The coach was the one to choose", he said. The 12-member soccer team and their coach were trapped in the Tham Luang cave, and were rescued after a dramatic mission, while the world watched.

He also paid a tribute to former Thai navy SEAL, Saman Kunan, who died last week during the rescue mission.

Chiang Rai province acting Gov. Narongsak Osatanakorn, who oversaw the rescue operation, said the boys should not be blamed for their near tragedy. He praised the cooperation between Thai and global rescuers.

Thai Prime Minister Prayuth Chan-Ocha thanked people involved in the rescue in a televised address on Wednesday and said the mission had succeeded because of government efforts, the assistance of people within and outside Thailand and an outpouring of moral support.

The method was extremely risky, but dwindling oxygen levels in the cave and fears of more monsoon rains to come made a decision urgent.

Harris was supposed to be on holiday when the British diving team leading the rescue effort requested his expertise.

Most of the boys rescued from inside a flooded cave in northern Thailand lost an average of 2 kilograms (4 pounds) during their ordeal, but were generally in good condition, a senior health official said on Wednesday.

He did not say if the coach, the only adult with the boys for nine days before they found, was able to dive and walk out unaided.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article