Teen Dies Of Nut Allergy After Mistakenly Eating Chips Ahoy Cookie

Leslie Hanson
July 18, 2018

According to Kellie Travers-Stafford's post, 15-year-old Alexi Ryann Stafford ate a cookie from an open, red Chips Ahoy! package at a friend's house on June 25.

Friday's cautionary Facebook post by a Weston mother after her peanut allergic teen daughter died from eating a Chips Ahoy! cookie provided a window into seemingly casual actions that can be perilous for food allergy sufferers.

"She died within one and half hour of eating the cookie", Travers-Stafford continued.

Her family administered two EpiPen shots, but she went into anaphylactic shock and stopped breathing. Realizing her mistake, she went home immediately, according to a Facebook post by her mother. With the top flap of the packaging pulled back, the teen didn't see that the cookie had an added ingredient - Reese's Peanut Butter Cup chunks.

"As a mother who diligently taught her the ropes of what was okay to ingest and what was not, I feel lost and angry because she knew her limits and was aware of familiar packaging, she knew what "safe" was", her mom said.

The company pointed out that the packaging for Chips Ahoy! made with Reese's Peanut Butter Cups "prominently indicates, on both the front and side panels, the presence of peanut butter cups through both words and visuals".


Travers-Stafford said her daughter mistook the treats for Chewy Chips Ahoy cookies, which do not contain peanuts, due to the similar packaging. One clearly shows the Reese's Peanut Butter Cups logo.

Chips Ahoy said Sunday in a tweet it takes allergens "very seriously". "Consumers should always read the label for allergy information".

While packaging color for the cookies indicates their texture, such as chewy or chunky, it's not indicative of the presence of allergens, it added. Package color indicates Chewy, Chunky, or Original.

The girl's death "tragically" illustrates the fact that teens and young adults are at the greatest risk for severe allergic reactions, said Lisa Gable, CEO of Food Allergy Research & Education, a national advocacy nonprofit organization.

In response to a Twitter user asking them to change their packaging because "you cant tell the difference when the product is pulled back", Chips Ahoy! defended its packaging.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER