One Trader Joe's Employee Killed During Armed Standoff in Los Angeles

Lester Mason
July 23, 2018

A woman is confirmed dead following a barricade situation involving a shooting and chase suspect who held hostages inside a Trader Joe's in Silver Lake on Saturday.

Outside the store, the man exchanged gunfire with police again and a woman was shot and killed. Atkins allegedly shot his grandmother as many as seven times about 1:30 p.m.

After the shooting, the suspect took his grandmother's vehicle - a 2015 four-door Toyota Camry sedan - and fled, forcing his injured girlfriend to go with him, police said. The man crashed the auto and ran into the Silver Lake Trader Joe's, taking dozens of people hostage.

Officers spotted the suspect's auto near Hollywood and tried to pull him over, but the man refused to stop and led officers on a pursuit, he said.

The driver got out and police started firing at him as he ran toward the Trader Joe's.

Police said the area surrounding the supermarket would be shut down until around noon on Sunday as investigations continue.

"Yesterday marks the saddest day in Trader Joe's history as we mourn the loss of one our own", company spokeswoman Kenya Friend-Daniel said in a statement.

Helicopter footage showed the tense moments as police rescued hostages from windows and other exits. Authorities tried to render aid, but she died at the scene. The suspect was located via LoJack and a pursuit ensued at which point the suspect fired multiple rounds at pursuing officers.

The suspect did not have a mobile phone, but called his family from the Trader Joe's to find out how his grandmother was, Egland said. The grandmother was listed in critical condition.

Authorities said Atkins fired at officers during the pursuit and that they returned gunfire after he crashed and ran into the Trader Joe's. Arnold spoke to a young woman who'd been in contact with her brother, one of the hostages who she heard had been hiding in either a "refrigerator or freezer".

This story was updated at 9:04 include information tweeted by Albert Corado that his sister, Melyda Corado was the person killed today at the store.

People frantically tried to flee from the store and some were seen climbing through windows, jumping down and others darted through the back door.

After three hours, negotiators were able to persuade the suspect to come out peacefully, Moore said.

Earlier, another woman was taken from the crashed vehicle and taken to a local hospital. "She appeared lifeless", Mr Dunlop said.

He then saw about five employees hang out a second-floor window and drop to the ground, and about 15 other people run to safety from the back of the store.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article