Replacing Alonso at McLaren for 2019 'particularly special' - Sainz

Annette Crawford
August 19, 2018

"Carlos, 23, from Madrid, Spain, has signed a multi-year deal with the team, replacing Fernando Alonso".

Two-time world champion Alonso announced on Tuesday that he had made a decision to leave McLaren and "move on" from F1 at the end of the season and Sainz will now replace his fellow Spaniard for the 2019 Formula One campaign. "It's something I've been looking at for a while and I'm very excited about this next chapter in my career", said Sainz in a release on McLaren's official website.

"Extremely happy and proud to announce that I will be joining the @McLarenF1 family next year". "The list of drivers that have raced for McLaren over the years are among the heroes of Formula 1".

Formula 2 star Norris, a McLaren test driver, has been in talks with three other F1 teams - including Toro Rosso, who wanted him to replace Brendon Hartley in June for the rest of the 2018 season.

"There is a time for everyone to make a change and Fernando has decided the end of this season to be his", McLaren chief executive Zak Brown said.

When Fernando Alonso leaves Formula 1 at the end of the year he will do so with the peculiar distinction of being a two-time world champion whose potential went unfulfilled.

In a career spanning 17 years, McLaren appeared for 302 career races.

"McLaren Racing today confirms that Carlos Sainz will race for the team in Formula 1 from the 2019 FIA Formula One World Championship", said a statement on team's website. We have played together against incredible rivals.


The first Spaniard and then youngest driver to be crowned world champion in 2005, he has long nurtured a dream to emulate the late Graham Hill and land motorsport's coveted Triple Crown.

Today's announcement means that Sainz will have a spot on the grid next year and for several more to come. One alternative is allowing Vandoorne to migrate to Toro Rosso-Honda, filling a gap in the Red Bull talent pipeline.

Sainz Jr.is now in his first full season driving for Renault Sport after he was loaned to the team by Red Bull Racing as the replacement for Jolyon Palmer starting with the final four races of the 2017 season.

Alonso, whose best finish for McLaren so far was 10th in 2016, said he would carry on endeavouring to finish with a flourish.

Sainz was looking for a ride ever since Renault announced earlier this month that it would be bringing Daniel Ricciardo over from Red Bull.

Carlos Sainz Jr just can't seem to stay in place.

F1 will be back from its summer break with the Belgian GP, live on Sky Sports F1.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER