Motsoaledi cautions citizens on Listeriosis

Leslie Hanson
September 3, 2018

Health Minister Dr Aaron Motsoaledi has just announced that the listeriosis outbreak in South Africa is over.

He said based on the fact that there had been no new listeria cases in the past three months, experts had arrived at a conclusion that the worst listeriosis outbreak to ever hit the country is over. "This will further strengthen the system to prevent and detect listeriosis outbreaks".

The government announced on December 5 past year that the country was hit by a listeriosis outbreak that was later traced to two food-processing factories in the country, prompting a recall of 5,812 tonnes of affected food stuffs.

Motsoaledi said consumers were now free to enjoy cold meats, noting that although they were able to tackle the outbreak strand this did not mean listeria is irradiated from the environment.


The minister did not give the latest number of people killed in the outbreak.

Over 180 cases were reported from the food born disease earlier in the year.

Motsoaledi says South Africans should continue exercising precautionary measures such as the washing of hands and thorough cooking of food.

At least 216 people died during the outbreak, according to the country's National Institute for Communicable Diseases. Animal products and fresh produce such as fruits and vegetables can be contaminated from these sources.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER