Man killed by shark in Massachusetts' first fatal attack for 80 years

Lester Mason
September 16, 2018

In August, a NY man was bitten by a shark at another Cape Cod beach but survived the encounter, according to media reports. Cape Cod National Seashore said it closed access to the beach facing the sea.

Beach-goers carry a shark attack victim down Newcomb Hollow Beach. "15ft wide. I saw a tail and a lot of thrashing", Joe Booth said.

Then the victim's friend dragged him to shore.

The neurologist struck the shark in the gills after remembering a nature documentary that said that was the predator's most sensitive spot.

This is the first shark attack death in MA in more than 80 years, according to People Magazine.

Police said the name of the victim is being withheld until his family has been informed.

The attack is being investigated by State Police and the Cape and Islands District Attorney's office.


A 61-year-old man suffered puncture wounds in a Cape Cod shark attack last month.

"We are witnessing sharks feeding aggressively in shockingly shallow water on an nearly daily basis over this past August", he wrote.

Emergency personnel respond to Newcomb Hollow Beach in Wellfleet, Mass, on Saturday, Sept. 15, 2018.

Booth said others on the beach attempted to make a tourniquet while others frantically called 911. A shark's powerful jaws clamped down William Lytton's leg a few yards from the shoreline.

Shortly after, he was rushed to the Cape Cod Hospital by officials with Wellfleet Fire Department but succumbed to his injuries.

On Saturday a Cape Cod politician told the Associated Press officials who did not take more aggressive action against sharks bore some responsibility for the fatal attack. Great White Sharks are predators and should be considered risky.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER