Ronaldo insists sex was "completely consensual"

Annette Crawford
October 11, 2018

Cristiano Ronaldo's new lawyer has said that his client does not deny making an agreement to pay a woman who accused him of rape for her silence but insists that leaked documents about the case are "fabrications".

Christiansen confirmed that Mayorga reached a settlement with Ronaldo's representatives in 2010.

Der Spiegel, the German magazine, published an interview with Kathryn Mayorga and documents showing that Ronaldo agreed to pay her $375,000 as part of a non-disclosure agreement in 2010.

Mayorga's attorneys, Leslie Stovall and Larissa Drohobyczer, did not immediately respond to telephone, email and text messages.

He added: "So that there are no doubts: Cristiano Ronaldo vehemently denies all the accusations in this civil action, in consistency with what he has done in the last nine years".

"The documents that allegedly contain statements by Cristiano Ronaldo and were reproduced in the media are pure inventions", Christiansen said.

Christiansen said the out-of-court agreement between Ronaldo and Mayorga was "by no means a confession of guilt".

Ronaldo's club, Juventus, has suffered from the allegations, with the Italian club's share price closing nearly 10% down last week as markets reacted.

Las Vegas police have reopened the investigation and want to question the Portuguese in the U.S., although Ronaldo recently put out a statement insisting he is calm as he feels he did not commit any crime. To absolve any doubt, Mr Ronaldo has always maintained, as he does today, that what occurred in 2009 in Las Vegas was consensual in nature.


"By 2015, dozens of entities [including law firms] in different parts of Europe were attacked and saw a lot of information on their electronic equipment being stolen by a hacker".

"This hacker attempted to sell this data, and one media outlet has now irresponsibly published the stolen documents, significant portions of which were altered and/or completely fabricated".

The lawsuit seeks to void the agreement that her lawyers say she signed under pressure from "fixers" trying to protect the reputation of Ronaldo.

She said: "He starts to come on to me very strong".

Ronaldo has now made a decision to speak out, claiming he can "no longer stand silent" and is "confident that the truth will survive this frenzy" while the Las Vegas Police conduct their investigation.

Christiansen added: "Although Cristiano Ronaldo is accustomed to media attention, inherent in the fact that he is a famous person, it is absolutely deplorable that the media continue to propagate and stimulate an intentional defamation campaign based on stolen and easily manipulated digital documents".

Mr Christiansen's statement concluded: "Mr Ronaldo will leave future discussion of any and all legal matters to his attorneys here and in Europe".

The former Manchester United star said he is "confident that the truth will survive this frenzy".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER