U.S. cautious over Khashoggi as new claims emerge

Lloyd Doyle
October 18, 2018

Pompeo said during his visit both the Saudi and Turkish governments reiterated their commitment to a full investigation into Khashoggi's disappearance.

The Washington Post published the column more than two weeks after Jamal Khashoggi was last seen entering the Saudi Consulate in Istanbul and only hours after a gruesome account in Turkey's Yeni Safak newspaper alleged that Saudi officials cut off Khashoggi's fingers and then decapitated him inside the consulate while his fiancée waited outside. "We just went through that with Justice Kavanaugh and he was innocent all the way as far as I'm concerned". "You're going to get me in trouble".

Attiah added, "This is the last piece of his I will edit for The Post".

The leaks, a lot of them reported in local pro-government newspapers in Turkey, may provide a clearer picture of what happened over two weeks ago when Khashoggi entered the Saudi consulate to obtain documents related to his upcoming marriage to a Turkish woman.

Amnesty International, Human Rights Watch, Reporters Without Borders and the Committee to Protect Journalists, said that a "one-sided" investigation by Saudi Arabia was not good enough.

Speaking to journalists in Geneva amid news reports that details of Khashoggi's death may surface soon, indicating that it was an accident, United Nations human rights office (OHCHR) spokesperson Rupert Colville said potentially serious crimes had been committed and the perpetrators should be held accountable. He added that the "realist" approach towards preserving ties - in order to safeguard lucrative United States arms exports, for example - clearly conflicted with Washington's presumptions of moral superiority when dealing with nations such as Russian Federation and North Korea.

"They are hesitant to provide a platform for journalists from Saudi Arabia, Egypt and Yemen".


Authorities there believe he was killed in the building by Saudi agents, an accusation that the Saudi authorities have dismissed as "lies".

Mnuchin said the decision was made after the White House meeting with Trump and Pompeo.

Pompeo briefed President Donald Trump on the issue and the talks he had this week with the leaders of Saudi Arabia and Turkey in this regard.

Asked if the USA would be willing to walk away from Saudi Arabia, Trump said: "I do not want to do that and frankly they have a tremendous order, $110 billion", referring to a promised USA arms sales to the kingdom. He was allegedly killed during an interrogation inside the consulate, media outlets have reported.

Mr Mutreb, perhaps a bodyguard, has been photographed emerging from planes with Prince Mohammed on recent trips to Madrid and Paris, the newspaper reported.

A joint-probe into the case by Saudi Arabia and Turkey is ongoing.

A group of crime scene investigators investigating the disappearance of journalist Jamal Khashoggi left the Saudi consul general's residence in Istanbul after examining the premises on Wednesday, live footage from the scene showed.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER