Surfer 'punched shark until it let go'

Lester Mason
October 22, 2018

A MAN has been taken to hospital after being attacked by a shark at a beach north of Newcastle.

He's receiving treatment for minor injuries in the John Hunter Hospital, with both Samurai and One Mile beaches closed for the day as a result.

"I didn't know it was there and couldn't see it because it was churned up white water".

The Inspector said there has been a history of shark attacks in recent years along the Eastern seabord area extending from Stockton Beach, up to Nelson Bay and into Hawksnest.

Kenny said he was following in the footsteps of retired Australian surfing great Mick Fanning, who made global headlines when he fought off a shark on live TV while competing in South Africa in 2015.

The seasoned surfer was about 50 metres from the beach and was understandably scared.


The beach had been fairly deserted earlier this morning, he said, but he had watched a couple of surfers jump on their boards around 9am and head out into the waves.

He said he doesn't have any ill feeling towards the shark. "He was just going about his business and I headbutted him so he retaliated".

"I didn't think we would be treating a shark victim with no trousers on put it that way", he said.

Yesterday, the Office of Environment and Heritage tweeted One Mile Beach and Samurai Beach reopened following the removal of the whale carcass.

Authorities had cut the carcass into more manageable pieces to remove the deceased animal from the sand, with the remains sparking concerns for the possibility of increased shark presence.

According to the NSW Department of Primary Industries, the shark is believed to have been a Wobbegong.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER