NY Times: Saudi Arabia deployed Twitter army against critics

Lester Mason
October 24, 2018

A spokesman said: "We share the widespread global concern following the disappearance of Jamal Khashoggi, and in light of those concerns SDI will not be proceeding with this particular appointment".

"We are not throwing our hands in the air and terminating the relationship with Saudi Arabia, not just because of the huge number of British jobs that depend on it but also because if you exert influence over your partners you need to be able to talk to them", he told BBC One's The Andrew Marr Show. Trump had initially said it was credible.

Saudi Arabia's Foreign Minister Adel al-Jubeir told Fox News that the Saudis want to hold to account those responsible in the case regarding the late Jamal Khashoggi.

The Saudis have said Khashoggi was killed in a "fistfight" at its consulate in Istanbul, having previously insisted that he had left the building.

Riyadh said he was killed in a fist fight in the consulate.

"It's not possible for the Saudi administration to wiggle itself out of this crime if it's confirmed", Kurtulmus said on Saturday. We haven't reached that point. So far, Saudi officials have refuted the allegations.

In firing officials close to Prince Mohammed, Saudi Arabia stopped short of implicating the heir-apparent of the world's largest oil exporter.

Germany last month approved 416 million euros ($480 million) worth of arms exports to Saudi Arabia for 2018. Since then, scores of activists, journalists, and civil society protested against the kingdom, demanding justice for Khashoggi.


In a recent off-the-record interview published posthumously by U.S. magazine Newsweek, Khashoggi described the 33-year-old heir apparent as "an old-fashioned tribal leader", but said he would have accepted an offer to work as his adviser.

US President Donald Trump suggested sanctions against Saudi were a possibility but said that halting arms deals would "hurt us more than it would hurt them".

The Saudi announcements about Khashoggi came in statements carried by the state-run Saudi Press Agency.

What happened to Jamal Khashoggi?

"Yet the brawl aggravated to lead to his death" and the suspects' attempt to "conceal and cover what happened", SPA reported.

There's been no indication Khashoggi had any immediate plans to return to the kingdom. "I believe that when the investigation is over, and the facts are revealed, and people know who was responsible, and see those individuals punished, and procedures put in place to prevent this from happening [again], the relationship will weather this", he said.

Eighteen men were in custody over the killing, the kingdom said on Saturday, as it also announced the sacking of two top aides of MBS as well as three other intelligence officials. Gen. Ahmed bin Hassan Assiri, a one-time spokesman for the Saudi military's campaign in Yemen who later became a confidant of Prince Mohammed.

The front pages of Saudi newspapers on Sunday were branded with headlines of support for the kingdom's government.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER