Search on for survivors as two buildings collapse in Marseille

Lester Mason
November 8, 2018

Both buildings collapsed mid-morning on Monday on Rue d'Aubagne near the city's historic old port.

TWO buildings have collapsed in the southern city of Marseille, leaving a giant pile of rubble and beams.

It was not confirmed whether there were any victims from the incident although it as been confirmed that at least two people were slightly injured. There was no immediate word on any casualties.

Fire officials deliberately brought down most of a third building due to concerns the unstable structure might cave on top of search crews and sniffer dogs combing the rubble of the other buildings.

According to Denormandie, around 10 people lived in the other one, which was undergoing building work.


Marseille fire services said two bystanders who had been in the street when the buildings collapsed were treated for light injuries.

In Marseille collapsed two houses, in result nine people were missing.

As noted, one of the collapsed buildings were in disrepair, its inhabitants were evicted.

Quoted as saying by local media, Sabine Bernasconi, the local mayor of the 1st and 7th districts of Marseille, said one of the buildings was in poor condition and had been subject to an evacuation order.

The region's prefecture urged people to stay away from the area and seek emergency services if they needed to.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER