Bourke Street incident: fearless passer-by pushes trolley at attacker

Lester Mason
November 9, 2018

A man wielding a knife stabbed three people in Melbourne, Australia, on Friday, killing one of them in what Australian police are treating as an act of terrorism.

A fearless passer-by used a trolley in an attempt to stop a man who attacked police on Bourke Street in Melbourne.

Police had been called to the auto at 4.20pm local time on Friday, by which point the man had already started attacking bystanders.

Police shot a man who threatened officers with a knife and he is in a critical condition in hospital, Victoria Police Superintendent David Clayton said.

"Three people have been stabbed, unfortunately one is deceased at the scene, two other victims are now in hospital", police Superintendent David Clayton told reporters at the scene.

Once at the scene police say the man who emerged from the vehicle attacked officers, before members of the public alerted them to several people who had been stabbed.

Premier Daniel Andrews tweeted, urging people to avoid the area and follow the instructions of emergency services personnel.

The police officers are being treated for cuts and scrapes and are not thought to be in a serious condition.

The suspect was was hospitalized in critical condition.

Another witness on a passing tram told ABC Radio it seemed police had been trying to subdue a man who was waving something.

In a statement, a Victoria Police spokesperson said officers responded to reports of a vehicle on fire on Bourke Street, near the corner of Swanston Street about 4.20pm.

"I don't know what the police were doing, for a good two to three minutes they were trying to grab him, tackle him down when a lot of people were screaming".

"There's no known link to terrorism at this stage", Clayton said.

But as the attacks continued unabated, eventually one officer opted for lethal force, shooting the suspect in the chest.

If members of the public have images or video footage that may assist police with their investigation into the Bourke...

A third person has also been taken to hospital, although the nature of their injuries is not yet known.

Mr Clayton said investigators did not believe there were any other assailants.

"I kept watching", said witness Tony Nguyen, after what he described as a "car bomb".

Witness Fiona told 3AW her friends had seen someone with a knife in the area and she'd been told he'd stabbed a security guard.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article