Homeless man who helped thwart Melbourne terrorist attack charged with burglary

Lester Mason
November 18, 2018

He handed himself in to police on Friday.

He was remanded in custody overnight and will front Melbourne Magistrates' Court on Saturday.

Michael Rogers, aka Trolley Man, was hailed as a hero after he repeatedly rammed Bourke Street attacker Hassan Khalif Shire Ali with a shopping trolley as Shire Ali slashed at police officers.

But it also brought him to the attention of police who wanted to speak to him for a series of burglaries in St Kilda and the CBD.

Donna Stolzenberg, CEO of the Melbourne Homeless Collective that set up the GoFundMe campaign, told the Herald Sun she was with Rogers on Thursday evening when he rang police about their concerns and that he would "own up and do the right thing" if there were any charges.

Given his troubled life, marred by a long criminal history and drug addiction, throwing his hands up was a big deal.


"I have known this man for 20 years. I didn't quite get him down, though".

He was bailed by magistrates on Saturday, despite police opposition, with conditions including a curfew, not entering the city centre and staying at an apartment rented for him by a homeless charity.

She said Rogers was humbled by the generosity, which is what compelled him to turn himself into police.

Earlier this week, Victoria Police Chief Commissioner Graham Ashton told ABC Radio Melbourne he understood that Mr Rogers had intervened "instinctively", but warned that in general, the public should stand back when police were responding to a situation.

The court heard Rogers would not have free access to the thousands of dollars donated to him.

She explained to the court how Rogers had become the subject of a community fundraiser in the wake of his selfless efforts against IS-inspired knifeman Shire Ali.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER