Elevator in Chicago's John Hancock Center drops 84 FLOORS

Lester Mason
November 19, 2018

A ride down from the top of Chicago's fourth-tallest building turned into a terrifying drop early Friday for a group of people, including a pregnant woman, who plunged 84 floors when a cable broke.

It started to get "bumpy", like an incoming flight to Chicago, a Northwestern law student who was in the elevator told the Chicago Tribune.

"I believed we were going to die", one passenger told CBS 2 Chicago.

"We were going down and then I felt that we were falling down and then I heard a noise - clack clack clack clack clack clack".

Firefighters broke through a wall more than 10 stories above ground from a parking garage to reach the people who were trapped inside.

Two of the passengers were visiting from Mexico, while two others were in town from New Zealand.


A city official told the Tribune the elevator was last inspected in July, and that a "hoist" rope connected to the auto failed shortly after midnight. One of the cables was found to be snapped, whereas the others were luckily still attached, preventing the deadly fall.

The elevator, which became wedged between the 11th and 12th floors, was in a "blind shaft", meaning there were no doors through which firefighters could enter to rescue people.

When emergency services eventually arrived-after the trapped passengers had texted friends and called the building's security officers for help-firefighters were forced to cut a hole through the elevator shaft to pull the passengers to safety. None of the passengers knew how far they had fallen until they were rescued. One of the law students captured the moment on video as a freaky liquid oozed from the elevator door's crevice and firefighters worked to pry open the doors.

A Chicago Buildings Department spokesman told the Tribune that the elevator had been last inspected in July and the cause of the unsafe malfunction would be looked into under a now launched probe.

"When they opened the door, the feeling was, 'Thanks, bud!'" Jaime Montemayor said, according to The Chicago Tribune. Maña told the Chicago Tribune she noticed dust particles seeping into the elevator.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER