Epic Games Takes On Steam With New Developer-Friendly Online Gaming Store

Doris Richards
December 4, 2018

The Fortnite and Unreal Engine maker claims the Epic Games Store will deliver fair economics while allowing devs and publishers to form a direct relationship with players.

Notably, the nascent marketplace will grant developers an 88 percent cut of revenue, with Epic taking the remaining 12 percent. There are no tiers or thresholds.

Fortnite players have ran into an important problem in the game's Pop-Up Cup tournament mode that is leading to players asking Epic Games to step in a fix the issue.

Epic is also offering to waive its 5% royalty fee for games built in its Unreal Engine, if they are sold through Epic's store.


Purchasing a game on the Epic store will automatically subscribe players to the game's newsfeed for easy communication, and developers are in charge of their own game page on the news feed. You'll also be able to reach your players through email, if they choose to share it. Epic says it will cover the first 5% of creator revenue sharing for the first 24 months to help get the ball rolling.

If a developer puts its game on Steam, Valve takes 30% of every sale the game gets. There will be no store-placed ads or cross-marketing of competing games on your page, and no paid ads in search results. The Epic Games Launcher will be made available for PC and Mac and will feature, of course, Fortnite and the Unreal Engine. "Because of the high volume of Fortnite transactions, we can process store payments, serve bandwidth, and support customers very efficiently".

"We've built this store and its economic model so that Epic's interests are aligned with your interests". "Now, 12 years in, stores have achieved vast economies of scale in a $25bn annual worldwide business, yet the benefits have accrued purely to the stores".

More information on upcoming game releases will be announced at The Game Awards 2018 on December 6.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER