India Condemns Terror Attack In Iran's Chabahar

Lester Mason
December 6, 2018

At least three people have been killed following a suicide vehicle bombing attack near a police post in Iran's southern port city of Chabahar, state television Press TV reported, quoting security and local officials.

The report went on to say that shooting could also be heard in the city.

The governor of Sistan-and-Baluchestan Province, Rahmdel Bamari, told the IRNA news agency that four people had been killed and many others injured. He did not elaborate. There was no immediate claim of responsibility.

Videos shared on Twitter said to be taken from the scene shows smoke rising into the sky with the sound of sirens heard in the background.

Chabahar city governor Rahmdel Bameri said earlier that four people were killed and many more wounded when the bomber blew up a vehicle, but later revised the death toll to two.

A number of Iranian media have reported a auto explosion in the largest port city in Sistan-and-Balochistan province, Chabahar.


Iran has stepped up security in border areas after gunmen in September opened fire on a military parade in Iran's southwestern city of Ahvaz, killing 25 people, nearly half of them members of Iran's elite Revolutionary Guards corps.

The authorities did not identify who was behind the attack.

Ansar al-Furqan, a Sunni jihadi group, clamed credit for the attack. "We express our condolences to the government and the people of Iran and the families of the victims of this attack", the Ministry of External Affairs said.

That attack was claimed by a Sunni Muslim group called, Jundallah, also known as Soldiers of God.

Tehran often blames the United States, Saudi Arabia and Israel for backing groups to destabilize Iran, something its rivals deny.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER