As Ebola outbreak marks 6 months, health centres a concern

Leslie Hanson
February 1, 2019

Two Congolese Regular Forces (FARDC) soldiers have died of Ebola haemorrhagic fever in eastern Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC), according to military and health sources.

According to World Health Organization which has deployed more than 30 staff members to support these activities, the vaccine offers protection against the Zaire strain of the virus, which is the one affecting DRC at present.

The Ebola outbreak in the Democratic Republic of the Congo (DRC) is not only spreading but is extending southward into a "high security risk area", United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric said on Tuesday.

In mid-January, UN human rights chief Michelle Bachelet, said that according to "credible reports", hundreds of villagers from the four communities in Yumbi, had been killed during inter-ethnic clashes between the Banunu and Batende communities, during several days, beginning on 16 December.

It is the biggest Ebola outbreak since the virus ravaged West Africa between 2014 and 2016.


The colleague was deployed from a neighbouring country to Beni to work in the Ebola response, where he supported the administrative team.

It said the health ministry with the support of its partners has established 17 screening points to detect any travellers entering the country who may be infected with the virus.

"Our teams in Mangina, Beni, Oicha, Komanda, Butembo and Lubero are working tirelessly with this multi-pronged approach to end the Ebola outbreak as quickly as possible, and to help affected children and families", stressed Dr. Rotigliano.

The recent outbreak was reported for the first time in North Kivu and spread to the south, where they are in conflictive areas of Democratic Congo, complicating the health care efforts of health workers, who also already face centers of mistrust in the region, said United Nations spokesman Stephane Dujarric Dujarric.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER