Ford government calls in OPP to investigate leaked documents

Leslie Hanson
February 6, 2019

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath said the documents reveal that the Ford cabinet has already approved the health bill, but Health Minister Christine Elliott vehemently denied that, saying the documents are preliminary drafts and that there are no plans to privatize the aforementioned services.

The Ford government is asking the OPP to investigate the massive leak of government documents to the NDP.

The Ontario NDP has released confidential health care documents that call for an overhaul of how the system is managed in the province - a move the Doug Ford government was warned could cause service disruptions and labour upheaval.

"The NDP have intentionally created confusion about the way care is delivered in this province", Elliott said. We need every last health care dollar to go directly to delivering care and expanding Ontario's ability to deliver care.

A memo from interim cabinet secretary Steven Davison sent Monday says as a result of the investigation, "the employee responsible for this breach is no longer employed in the Ontario Public Service".

The documents reference outsourcing services such as laboratories - many of which are already privately run - inspections, and the province's air-ambulance service.

Another risk outlined in the report was that new home care legislation would be needed to dissolve the LHINs, repeal the Local Health System Integration Act and shift home care responsibilities and employment to the Integrated Care Delivery System (branded as MyCare Groups).


Elliott said none of those services will be privatized. "It is ordinary course of business to develop draft options".

NDP Leader Andrea Horwath is just fearmongering in order to fundraise, Elliott said, pointing out an NDP web post about the documents that leads to a plea for cash.

Elliott has said her transformation of the health-care system isn't final yet, but will not include two-tier care - assurances she made after the NDP released a leaked draft version of the legislation last week.

"(Premier Doug) Ford is going to privatize specific, critical services and he's throwing open the door to even more privatization", she said. It's not clear if for-profit and private entities will win contracts to form MyCare Groups; but it's clear that MyCare groups will be given the power to contract out frontline health care to private, for-profit entities.

There are slated to be 30-50 MyCare groups across the province, with up to 10 early adopter sites being set up in the spring, according to the documents.

The government was informed at a January 17 agency review meeting that there was a risk of a potential labour disruption with unionized, LHIN-employed care coordinators, primarily Ontarion Nurses Association (ONA) represented members whose collective agreements expire in March.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER