Anthony Joshua Confirms Opponent, Set For US Debut

Annette Crawford
February 10, 2019

Whyte, meanwhile, is expected to face Povetkin, Luis Ortiz, or Dominic Breazeale at the O2 Arena, London, on April 20.

Hearn echoed Miller's statement during an appearance on BBC Radio 5, in which he revealed it's very likely Joshua will face the NY native next.

Anthony Joshua's camp are negotiating a NY bout with Jarrell Miller after failing to agree deals with Deontay Wilder or Dillian Whyte.

"I think with Dillian, he believes he represents the same value as Wilder and [Tyson] Fury", he said.

Making reference to the recent claims from Joshua's bitter rival Dillian Whyte that Joshua has also been ducking a rematch with the Brixton man, KD joked: "You're scared of fighting somebody you already knocked out!"

"Right now we have got our heads around this happening", he told BBC Radio 5 Live.

"He is going to go there and completely turn the United States boxing scene on its head as they are going to see a real star".


"He definitely needs to build his profile in the U.S. but knowing how he looks, behaves and fights he will be a superstar in America".

"We are not done with a deal yet, but there is a strong chance".

Whyte proclaimed his clash with Joshua was dead last week, forcing Hearn to focus his energy on talks with Miller.

With AJ making his debut in the USA, his promoter is keen to build a lot of buzz for British fans. 'Not just that fight, but also creating a weekend in June for British fight fans to remember for a long time. Potential fights against Tyson Fury or Deontay Wilder will not happen until after the pair's rematch, while Dillian Whyte has confirmed a rematch against Joshua will not happen.

Obviously this isn't the fight that boxing fans wanted to see Joshua in at all. The 30-year-old has won 11 of his last 12 bouts by knockout, including a fourth-round KO of Bogdan Dinu in November.

Let us know in the comments.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER