Turkey building collapse death toll rises to 21

Lester Mason
February 11, 2019

As the overall death toll rose to 18, Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan said there were "many lessons to learn" from the tragedy.

The girl, Havva Tekgoz, was pulled from the debris about 18 hours after the building in the mostly residential Kartal district, on the Asian side of the city, collapsed.

He said the government will take "steps in a determined way" after investigators complete their work. Suleyman Soylu said early Saturday that another body had been found in the rubble.

Environment Minister Murat Kurum, who accompanied Erdogan, said the block housed 14 apartments and three businesses. Erdoğan also visited a hospital to talk to survivors, before attending the funeral of the nine members of one family who lost their lives in the disaster.

However, top three floors of the building were built illegally, the governor added.


Rescuers continue to comb through the wreckage of the building in an eastern suburb of Istanbul, Turkey's biggest city, more than two days after it fell down. Chief Doctor Recep Demirhan says that two are in very serious condition, according to Turkey's official Anadolu news agency.

Friends and relatives have been waiting near the apartment building for news of their missing loved ones as emergency teams, aided by sniffer dogs, worked around the clock.

The official toll had previously stood at 10 people dead and 13 injured.

There were 14 apartments and a total of 43 residents in the building, which was originally built 27 years ago.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER