Robot told patient he had days to live

Leslie Hanson
March 11, 2019

Ms Wilharm said she had to repeat what the doctor said to her grandfather, because he was hard of hearing in his right ear and the machine could not get to the other side of the bed.

Mr Quintana's daughter, Catherine, told KTVU that the family was further upset because her father had trouble hearing the doctor through the speakers, forcing Ms Wilharm to relay the awful news. Attached was a screen streaming a live video of a doctor wearing a headset.

Mr Quintana is said to have died on Tuesday, two days after he was admitted to hospital.

Catherine Quintana's father had been in and out of a hospital for weeks, and the family understood that his time was running out.

Photo Ernest Quintana died from chronic lung disease.

Please share this.... This was regarding a friends Dad a couple of hours ago.

The patient, Ernest Quintana, died two days after arriving at the hospital, according to the Chicago Tribune - but the impersonal manner in which his doctor delivered the news to him and his family illustrate the unusual ways that medicine is changing as technology and automation make their way into the hospital system.

"You know, I don't know if he's going to get home", the doctor says, adding that the best treatment plan at that point was to begin focusing on Quintana's comfort.

"In every aspect of our care, and especially when communicating hard information, we do so with compassion in a personal manner", she said, adding that the term "robot" is "inaccurate and inappropriate".

"The evening video tele-visit was a follow-up to earlier physician visits", Gaskill-Hames said in a written response.

"It does not, and did not, replace ongoing in-person evaluations and conversations with a patient and family members", the center said.

"We regret falling short in meeting the patient's and family's expectations in this situation and we will use this as an opportunity to review how to improve patient experience with tele-video capabilities", Ms Gaskill-Hames added. She said that after the visit, he gave her instructions on who should get what and made her promise to look after her grandmother.

Wilharm said the in-person doctor was "very sweet" and held her grandfather's hand as she spoke with him about hospice care and his options.

Family friend Julianne Spangler slammed the hospital for its lack of care, saying this was "not the way to show value and compassion to a patient".

Ms Spangler said she wanted the media to get involved in the situation after Kaiser Permanente said it would "take note" of the family's complaints.

"Thank you Fremont Kaiser for your compassion to a man who is 100 per cent aware and alert".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article