Armed Man Chased, Fired On New Zealand Mosque Shooter

Angelo Anderson
March 16, 2019

The weapons had been modified to allow the quicker discharge of rounds, she said.

Tarrant has been identified as a suspected white supremacist, based on his social media activity.

He was held without bail and is expected back in court on April 5. Thirty six people were still being treated on Saturday, of which 11 remained in intensive care.

On Saturday, outside one of the two mosques, 32-year-old Ash Mohammed pushed through police barricades in hopes of finding out what happened to his father and two brothers, whose mobile phones rang unanswered.

The suspected gunman rambled on about the supposed aims for the attack, which included reducing immigration by intimidating immigrants and driving a wedge between North Atlantic Treaty Organisation and the Turkish people.

"It's outrageous" he said.

"We were not chosen for this act of violence because we condone racism, because we are an enclave for extremism", Ardern said during a news conference in Wellington.

One Saudi citizen and two Jordanians were among the dead, while five Pakistani citizens were missing. "Our thoughts and prayers are with the victims and their families".

"An expert testified before parliament in 2016 that it was only a matter of time before a mass shooting occurred in New Zealand", he told SBS News.

One person died in Christchurch hospital last night and staff are treating 42 patients, ranging from young children to adults, with gunshot wounds. "Our hearts are breaking for your loss", read one of the notes marked with a string of x-kisses.

However, the weapons were not legal as they were found by police after the attack. "I'm advised that this was acquired in November of 2017", she said, saying the suspect also had a small arsenal of semi-automatic weapons.

He thanked the neighbours of the mosque for their support and said "New Zealand people are nice".


The suspect documented his radicalisation and two years of preparations in a lengthy, meandering and conspiracy filled far-right "manifesto".

Facebook, Twitter and Google scrambled to take down the gunman's video, which was widely available on social media for hours after the mass shooting.

Police said the alleged shooter was arrested in a vehicle, which was carrying improvised explosive devices, 36 minutes after they were first called.

A fourth person arrested on Friday was a member of the public who was in possession of a firearm, but with the intention of assisting police, she said.

"Their intervention may very likely have saved further lives".

Two other people were in custody and police said they were seeking to understand whether they were involved in any way.

Revulsion at the attack, and tributes to the victims, poured in from around the world, including from Pope Francis and Britain's Queen Elizabeth II.

While the mass shooting was meant to sow fear and division, President Gertler said, "we hope that ultimately those responsible will fail, utterly, in their vicious pursuit".

But for how long must non-white victims be the proverbial canary in the coal mine before Western governments commit to a serious interrogation of how Islamophobia and other forms of racism are being perpetuated?

Ali Soufan, a former high-ranking Federal Bureau of Investigation counter-terrorism agent, warned the West was "in the midst of a surge of right-wing terrorism that has been metastasising in plain sight while generating only a muted response from domestic counter-terrorism authorities".

Police Commissioner Mike Bush said Friday night that a man had been charged with murder.

Condemning the terror strike, Ardern had described it as a "terror attack" and said it "appears to have been well planned".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER