10 mins before attack, New Zealand mosque attacker mailed manifesto to PM

Angelo Anderson
March 17, 2019

Tarrant, a 28-year-old Australian citizen, appeared in a Christchurch District Court Saturday.

Handcuffed and wearing a white prison suit, Tarrant did not speak.

A Candelit Prayer is held outside the State Library of Victoria on March 16, 2019 in Melbourne, Australia; 49 people are confirmed dead, with with 36 injured still in hospital following shooting attacks on two mosques in Christchurch, New Zealand on Friday, 15 March at the hands of suspected shooter Brenton Tarrant.

Ministry of External Affairs spokesperson Raveesh Kumar said the country's high commission in New Zealand is in touch with local authorities for more information.

Dramatic footage that surfaced online after the attack shows two officers - one of whom appears to be armed only with a handgun - pointing their weapons at the passenger door and then forcing a black-clad man out of the vehicle.

A total of four people were arrested following the massacre - one of whom was in possession of a firearm but with the intention of assisting police, and was released a short time later.

A series of vigils have now been scheduled around the country, while flowers were being left at cordons near the attack sites in Christchurch. Most others marked on the email were media houses, both domestic and worldwide, said a PM's spokesman.

New Zealand and much of the world was stunned by the massacre of dozens of people who had gathered for Friday prayers inside the Al Noor and Linwood mosques in Christchurch, the largest city on New Zealand's South Island.

Australian Man Appears In Court On Murder Charge After Christchurch Attack
Barefoot, handcuffed: New Zealand mosque shooter smirks, flashes ‘white power’ sign in Christchurch court

The attack, which Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern labelled as terrorism, was the worst ever peacetime mass killing in New Zealand and the country raised its security threat level to the highest. One victim died in hospital.

Tarrant did not have a criminal history and was not on any watchlists in New Zealand or Australia. Mr Bush said the woman had been released without charge.

"She came here for the peace.now she is shocked", he said, adding his mother was too afraid to leave her house.

"I can tell you one thing right now, our gun laws will change", Ardern told reporters, saying a ban on semi-automatic weapons would be considered.

"Fijian hearts are breaking for our brothers and sisters in New Zealand - a place where an atrocity of this nature is shocking nearly beyond comprehension".

During a Saturday press conference, Ardern said the gunman had two semi-automatic weapons, two shotguns, and a lever-action firearm (five firearms in total). Residents were mandated to turn in their semi-automatic rifles and other now-outlawed weapons.

President Donald Trump, who has a record of Islamophobic rhetoric, online behavior and policies, tweeted out his "warmest sympathy and best wishes" to the people of New Zealand.

Ardern called on the US government to show "sympathy and love for all Muslim communities", and told the press that "the person who has committed this violent act has no place here".


Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER