Social Media Companies Race To Take Down Video Of New Zealand Shootings

Lester Mason
March 17, 2019

On 15 March 2019 the world witnessed the darkest side of social media after a shooter opened fire in a mosque in New Zealand's Christchurch and live-streamed his entire 17-minute rampage on Facebook.

She said Facebook is working directly with New Zealand police as they carry out their investigation. Children's screams could be heard in the distance as he strode to his vehicle to get another rifle, then returned to the mosque, where at least two dozen people could be seen lying in pools of blood. He slowly goes to the boot of his auto and retrieves another firearm.

Seven other people were killed at a second attack terrorist at the Linwood Mosque in Christchurch on Friday.

He walked back outside, shot a woman, got back in his vehicle, and drove away. The accused can be seen changing cartridges three times in just under two minutes.

In the 74-page manifesto entitled "The Great Replacement", the gunman details his intention to attack Muslims.

The title of the document has the same name as a conspiracy theory originating in France that believes European populations are being displaced in their homelands by immigrant groups with higher birth rates.

One man was arrested and charged with murder in what appeared to be a carefully planned racist attack.

Hours after the attack, Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison confirmed the attacker was an Australian.

Two men and one woman are also in custody over the attacks.

The gunman spoke only occasionally while in the auto, with what sounded like an Australian accent.

As per The Verge, all though exact re-uploads of the massacre video will be taken down, videos which contain a part of the clip are sent to human moderators so that news videos containing the clips aren't removed in the process. A few took part in the Crusades, centuries earlier.

A Facebook spokesperson responded to the Wired by saying "Since the attack happened, teams from across Facebook have been working around the clock to respond to reports and block content, proactively identifying content which violates our standards and to support first responders and law enforcement,". The manifesto was the final tweet on the account before it was suspended.

Suspending the Facebook account, the social media site said, "Police alerted us to a video on Facebook shortly after the livestream commenced and we quickly removed both the shooter's Facebook and Instagram accounts and the video".

"To detect new instances of the video, we are using our artificial intelligence for graphic violence" as well as audio technology and looking for new accounts impersonating the alleged shooter, it said. Authorities made Facebook aware of the video shortly after the video began, according to Mia Garlick, Facebook's director of policy for Australia and New Zealand.

On internet discussion forum Reddit, users actively planned and strategised to avoid the actions of content moderators, directing each other to sharing platforms which had yet to take action and sharing downloaded copies of the video privately. "We would strongly urge that the link not be shared".

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article