New Zealand Shootings: Country Announces Sweeping Gun Law Reforms

Doris Richards
Марта 19, 2019

The white supremacist accused of gunning down 50 people at two mosques in New Zealand has dismissed his lawyer and opted to represent himself at trial, prompting the prime minister to declare Tuesday that she would do everything in her power to deny him a platform for his racist views.

Mustafa Boztas, from Turkey, was shot in the leg during the horrific massacre at the the Al Noor Mosque in Christchurch, New Zealand, on Friday, which left dozens of people dead and injured.

That and the online publication of a manifesto of his ideology, posted just before the shootings, has fueled concern that he intends to use the court as a platform to promote his extremist views, which is what far-right terrorist Anders Behring Breivik tried to do during his trial for the Norwegian attacks in 2011.

Ardern, who has won praise at home and globally for her response following New Zealand's worst mass shooting, told the media from the country's parliament that she would do what she could to stifle his desire for publicity.

Condemning such a heinous act of terrorism, New Zealand Premier said:"He sought many things from his act of terror, but one was notoriety - that is why you will never hear me mention his name", she said.

The prime minister also said her government "will look at the role social media played" in the publicizing the attacks.

"It is horrendous and while they're given us those assurances, ultimately the responsibility does sit with them", she said.

"There can not be a case of all profit, no responsibility", warned Miss Ardern.

He said that he was one of the last few people they attended to as the mosque was so crowded.

Читайте также: Archiving efforts underway to preserve Google+ posts ahead of closure

Multiple sources and reports on the New Zealand newspaper portal stuff.co.nz described continuous inquiries on the AR-15, the popular rifles being out of stock, and panic buying.

She pledged to grieving Kiwis that the avowed white nationalist from Australia "will face the full force of the law in New Zealand". "Not even his name", she said. Facebook said it removed 1.5 million videos of the shootings during the first 24 hours after the massacre.

The victims, who were killed during Friday prayers, were largely Muslim migrants, refugees and residents from countries including Pakistan, Bangladesh, India, Turkey, Kuwait, Somalia and others. "Let us acknowledge their grief as they do". Previously she said she will seek talks with Facebook Inc.

"We are doing all we can to undertake this work as quickly as possible and return the victims to their loved ones", a police statement said.

The New Zealand prime minister declared "the families of the fallen will have justice" as she made the pledge to ignore Brenton Tarrant. "While identification may seem straightforward, the reality is much more complex, particularly in a situation like this".

Hati Mohemmed Daoud Nabi, 71, opened the door to the Al Noor mosque.

"There's nothing they are offering", the Afghan refugee said outside a family support center.

"It's very unsettling not knowing what's going on", Aya said.

Ardern said that that the gunman is an Australian citizen facing one count of murder.

При любом использовании материалов сайта и дочерних проектов, гиперссылка на обязательна.
«» 2007 - 2019 Copyright.
Автоматизированное извлечение информации сайта запрещено.

Код для вставки в блог

Other reports by

Discuss This Article