Islamic State Claims Responsibility For Deadly Assault On Afghan Ministry

Lester Mason
April 22, 2019

A total of four suicide bombers and gunmen launched the attack at around 11:30 a.m. local time (0700 GMT), followed by gun battles with Afghan security forces.

At least seven people were killed in an attack on the Afghan communications ministry in central Kabul on Saturday (April 20), breaking months of relative calm in the capital and underlining the continued security threats despite efforts to open peace talks with the Taleban.

The Taliban issued a statement denying they were behind the attack, the latest in a series of militant attacks that have killed hundreds of people in Kabul over recent years.

The official said some 2,700 government employees and civilians were rescued by security forces after being stuck in several government buildings.

The attack on Ministry of Communication and Information Technology (MCIT) started at around mid-day and ended after five-hour exchange of gunfire and explosions.

One attacker is still actively engaging with the forces.

No group has so far claimed responsibility for the attack.

"Please pray for us as the enemy has reached very close to us".

"I saw three attackers going into the ministry".


Saturday's attack came after the government of Qatar cancelled the first-ever peace talks between the Taliban and representatives of the Afghan government in the presence of a U.S. delegation.

The area is the city's main commercial zone and is home to a large hotel.

By early afternoon, Rahimi said at least two of the attackers had been killed and gunfire could no longer be heard.

The communication ministry itself is an 18-story building, thought to be the tallest building in Kabul.

Afghan president Ashraf Ghani strongly condemned the attack.

This week in the Qatari capital Doha, a summit planned between the Taliban and officials from across Afghanistan fell apart at the last minute due to bickering over who should attend the conference.

The explosion comes the week after the Taliban announced their annual spring offensive and amid ongoing fighting across Afghanistan.

The militants now control or influence about half the country, and past year was the deadliest yet for civilians.

Other reports by Iphone Fresh

Discuss This Article

FOLLOW OUR NEWSPAPER